When considering a fee credit card, it’s the whole package or goodies that come with it that are key. You’ll pay an annual fee but will get terrific bang for your buck. Whether it’s a spending bonus, VIP lounge access, super high cash-back rewards, or no blackout periods during travel, these cards have it all and pack a punch when it comes to delivering a great package of rewards.
Winner: Scotiabank Gold American Express Card
Canada’s richest reward rate on turbocharge: 4% cash-back earn rate on gas, grocery, dining and entertainment, 1% back on everywhere else
Great spending bonus: $300 of free travel after $750 in spend.
Flexible: easy to redeem your cash equivalent points for any travel expense.
Huge travel insurance benefits: including travel medical, trip cancellation, travel emergency medical, delayed or lost luggage, rental car collision, and more, which can easily be worth about $1,000 a year if you travel.
Paid to lounge around: VIP lounge access with Priority Pass Lounges worldwide.
Discounts and other special offers: on hotels, airfare, car rentals, cruises and vacation packages.
Second place: BMO World Elite MasterCard
- 2% cash back in travel on all card purchases
- $200 sign-up bonus
- Book any travel, anywhere, anytime with no blackout periods. Points can be used to cover all flight charges and taxes
- Best in class travel and medical insurance (unlimited trips per year)
- Four complimentary airport lounge visits per year (over US$200 year/value)
Third: Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite Card
- 4% cash back for every dollar you spend on gas and groceries up to $25,000 annually
- 2% cash back per dollar spent at drug stores and on reoccurring bills, 1% cash back on other purchases
- Access to VISA Infinite Luxury Hotel Collection – save with the best available rates – guaranteed. Plus, when you check in, you’ll get an automatic room update when it’s available and free Wi-Fi in your room
- VISA Infinite Dining Series – unique dining experiences in some of Canada’s top restaurants
- Wine Country Wonders – Show your card at over 60 wineries in British Colombia and Ontario and you can enjoy complimentary tastings, private vineyard tours and discounts on wine purchases.
How much would you receive in rewards in one year?
|Net reward (excluding 1st year sign-up bonus)|
|Scotiabank Gold American Express Card||$546|
|BMO World Elite MasterCard||$537|
|Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite||$417|
Honorary Mention: MBNA Rewards World Elite
- Flexible– can redeem your points for cash back, travel, merchandise, gift cards or charity
- Earn 2 points per dollar (when redeeming for cash back or travel, each MBNA point is worth $0.1)
- $100 welcome bonus
- World Elite Benefits – price protection, concierge service, world offers
- Lower annual fee of $89