The Sonesta World Mastercard earns Sonesta Travel Pass points at the following rates:
- 3 points per dollar on eligible Sonesta purchases
- 2 points per dollar on eligible airfare, car rental and dining purchases
- 1 point per dollar for every $1 spent on all other purchases
The card also comes with an up to 95,000 Sonesta Travel Pass points bonus, which is tiered into the following––Earn 60,000 Sonesta Travel Pass points after spending at least $1,000 on purchases within the first 90 days of account opening. An additional 5,000 Sonesta Travel Pass points will be awarded after adding an authorized user. Finally, another 30,000 bonus Sonesta Travel Pass points can be earned after spending at least $7,500 on purchases within the first year.
Sonesta’s loyalty program, Sonesta Travel Pass, is still a bit outdated, especially when compared to the competition. That said, it has improved drastically over the last few months following it’s expansion and there are some great redemptions to be found.
In order to participate, you must first sign up for a free Sonesta Travel Pass account. Once enrolled, you can begin to earn and eventually redeem your Sonesta Travel Pass points for free nights.
Despite the process of redeeming points being downright archaic––to book an award night, you must either call in at 1.855.622.2160 or submit a redemption request form online––the redemptions themselves are relatively straightforward and easy to understand. The program is broken down into 11 categories and each category has a standard rate:
- Category 1: 10,000 Sonesta Travel Pass points/Night
- Category 2: 12, 500 Sonesta Travel Pass points/Night
- Category 3: 15,000 Sonesta Travel Pass points/Night
- Category 4: 17,500 Sonesta Travel Pass points/Night
- Category 5: 20,000 Sonesta Travel Pass points/Night
- Category 6: 22,500 Sonesta Travel Pass points/Night
- Category 7: 25,000 Sonesta Travel Pass points/Night
- Category 8: 27,500 Sonesta Travel Pass points/Night
- Category 9: 30,000 Sonesta Travel Pass points/Night
- Category 10: 40,000 Sonesta Travel Pass points/Night
- Category 11: 50,000 Sonesta Travel Pass points/Night
Not all Sonesta hotels participate in the Sonesta Travel Pass loyalty program, which means you can neither earn or redeem points for free nights at non-participating locations. The program even excludes entire countries, for example, Egypt. Unfortunately, Egypt’s exclusion also means Sonesta Travel Pass points cannot be earned or used to redeem free nights on their Nile cruises.
Participating hotels include properties in the following countries: U.S. including Puerto Rico, Ecuador, Peru, Canada, Chile, Colombia and St. Maarten. A full list of participating properties is available.
Forbes Advisor collects and uses data from various government agencies in order to determine income and spending in certain categories for consumer credit cards. In the United States, the 70th percentile of wage-earning households brings in $100,172 annually with the ability to charge roughly $26,410 onto credit cards every year.
Forbes Advisor estimates that an average consumer will spend $683 on hotels, earning 2,049 assuming you spend the nights at Sonesta hotels. An average $2,502 per year on flights and car rental would earn a total of 5,004 Sonesta Travel Pass points at 2 points per dollar.
As for dining, Forbes Advisor estimates that $4,406 yearly is spent on eating out. At 2 points per dollar, Sonesta World Mastercard members would earn 8,812 Sonesta Travel Pass points.
Other potential expenses charged to a credit card adds another $18,819 in yearly spending and would result in about 18,819 Sonesta Travel Pass points, for a total of 34,684 Sonesta Travel Pass points earned in addition to the first-year welcome offer.